Home

Shooting deer in the dark

Shooting - Amazon.d

Conclusion. By now, I believe you are a responsible hunter and killing a deer with a single shot is as easy as the blink of an eye. All things said always remember that successful hunting is a skill and you cannot just wake and do it perfectly.. Lucky you because the places to shoot a deer enumerated here are little secrets of the skills you should learn and practice to hunt like a pro The wolf kills the deer and then you can usually sneak up on the wolf and shoot it pretty easy with a bow. That is always best. A two for one kill. Chase deer at wolf, wolf takes down deer, while wolf drops down to start eating deer thwack it in the neck with an arrow For the unique stag found in the Episode 3 mission Tall Tales, see Ghost Stag. Deer are medium sized grazers in The Long Dark. They are a valuable resource, offering the potential for substantial amounts of meat and materials for relatively little risk. 1 Overview 2 Drops 3 Behaviour 3.1 Food for wolves 4 Interaction 4.1 Herding 5 Hunting 5.1 Critical hits 5.2 Bleeding wounds 5.3 Time to bleed. How deer see in the dark. Not only do deer have a wide field of vision and an amazing ability to detect movement, they also have special adaptations for low light vision. Their eyes have a membrane called the tapetum lucidum, which reflects like a mirror and essentially doubles available light. Plus, deer are likely more sensitive than humans. So a rifle at 15% and a rifle at 75% shoot the same. to answer the OP's question, should take 1 - 2 shots to down a deer. And because guns in almost all FPS games fire raycasts, shooting near a collision box like a tree will sometimes cause the raycast to think it hit the collision of that object and not fire to your target

1. Broadside Shot. Ideally, every deer will stand perfectly broadside to you and have their onside front leg stepped forward just a bit. This gives you the best possible shot. The little crease right behind the front leg and about 1/3 of the way up from the brisket will produce a killing shot nearly every time Here's a list of the 10 most common hunting violations that conservation officers encounter every firearm season - most of which easily can be avoided with a little research and planning. #1 - Using the wrong tag or improperly filling out a tag. Conservation officers often see the wrong kill tag on game - such as fish or turkey licenses. Shot in the dark: Night hunting under the spotlight Night hunting for deer isn't allowed in Minnesota and Wisconsin, but Chippewa bands in the latter want tribal members to be able to use lights. That's right, my friend. Your deer season is about to suck unless you get off your butt and do something about it. So read up, absorb our brand of tough love, and then get motivated. 1. You've lost your best hunting spot. Studies show that more than 2/3 of all hunting occurs on private land, and most of that is land owned by someone else Typically, the best times to hunt are early in the morning and late afternoon, since deer usually move when it's closer to dark. Be aware of legal shooting hours where you hunt and plan accordingly. In my state, shooting light starts half an hour before official sunrise and ends half an hour after official sunset

Why can't we shoot deer after dark? - Shooting U

It is coming up on deer hunting season in my neck of the woods, but I wanted to talk to you all about hunting deer for a purpose other than for eating. I enjoy getting out into the wild and interacting with the animals, deer being one of my favorites to encounter. I just wanted to share some tips that I have picked up during my exploits as a wildlife photographer You do need to be a good, experienced shooter, with a zeroed in gun. If you don't feel comfotable with the shot, then chest right behind the front leg is safest, but I have seen many deer run 100 or more yards when hit, and there may not always be much of a blood trail. Up to 50-100 yards - neck shot Hunting animals to kill and then harvest their flesh is an efficient means to acquire food and materials in The Long Dark. 1 Overview 2 Weapons 2.1 Hunting rifle 2.2 Survival bow 2.3 Stones 2.4 Revolver 2.5 Distress Pistol 3 Approach 3.1 Crouching 3.2 Hunting the hunters 4 Wounding 4.1 Critical..

Shooting deer at night - can you use a thermal scope

Bowhunt whitetails long enough and you'll find yourself in a situation where you have to try and follow a blood trail after dark. After all, many good bucks do not make an appearance until it is almost too dark to see your sight pins. When you shoot them and they run off, you have to go find them. And while bloodtrailing is more art than science and each situation is unique unto itself, here. Prevent a great afternoon deer hunt from turning into a long night of dread and disappointment. Hunt long enough and you'll find yourself in a situation where you have to try to follow a blood trail after dark. Doing so successfully is especially critical in hot weather, when leaving an animal overnight will result in meat spoilage After rifle seasons open and the shooting starts, elk are notorious for using steep, dark, timbered areas as bedding cover and sanctuaries to avoid hunters. It is true that archery hunters commonly shoot bulls in the timber during the rut in September. But they have the advantage of locating bulls that are bugling loudly and then using cow. Top 5 Best Scopes for Deer Hunting on The Market Reviews. Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10x40mm Rifle Scope. SWAROVSKI Z5 3.5-18×44 Ballistic Turret Riflescope with 4W Reticle. Nightforce Optics 5-20×56 SHV Riflescope. Vortex Optics Diamondback Second Focal Plane Riflescope Almost every hunter I know is in his stand prior to it being light and and in the evenings will stay out until after dark. If sunrise is at 8:08 am, you would not be legal to shoot until 7:38 am. If sunset was 6:47pm, you would not legally be able to take a deer after 7:17 pm

The Long Dark Deer Hunting Tips - YouTub

1. Next to deciding on a Henry, mounting a scope was the best decision for hunting deer in the dark pines and briar tangles on many of the prime leases at Kill Creek Outfitters
  2. TRAIL POINTERS: A deer shot through the liver won't go far. Wait two hours, follow the dark spoor and you'll find your game. Don't trail a deer hit in the paunch for at least 8 to 10 hours. It's better to wait 12 hours to let an animal bed a few times, stiffen and finally expire. ZONE 3: TOO MUCH SHOULDE
  3. istrative rule
  4. Deer hunting at night is illegal for the simple fact that it's dangerous. With no natural light around to see where you're going or what you're doing, you may accidentally shoot someone else instead of your intended target. Besides getting hurt with a gun, there's a better chance of tripping or falling in the woods in the dark
  5. Scared the living crap out of me, to dark to even shoot at whatever it was if it came after me. I suspect it was a moose even though I heard wolves later that morning, but I hear you. I only get freaked out when something is crashing around in the dark. I don't care what these guys say, every one of them would have crapped their pants

A blind's interior is dark, so leave your camouflage clothing at home, and wear a black jacket, hat, gloves and facemask instead. Fleece clothing is the quietest material available, and lets you come to full draw silently to avoid alerting deer. Hunting equipment is just as important as your clothing inside a blind More about Deer and Bear Hunting Regulations: Rifle, Shotgun, and Bow Areas - Descriptions of where shotguns, rifles, bows, crossbows and muzzleloaders can be used for big game hunting, and definitions of legal shotguns, rifles, bows, crossbows and muzzleloaders.; Big Game Importation Restrictions - Due to the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease within the United States and Canada, special.

Best $500 scope for shooting deer in the dark? - The

While these units aren't often used for hunting, they can be used in dark environments. Telescopic Sight. These sights are known as rifle scopes and are the most commonly used sight for hunting. They feature a small tube that attaches to the top of a rifle. This can provide you with up to 80 times magnification, making them perfect for. Probably the best kill shot for deer is the high shoulder shot. If executed properly a high shoulder shot can kill a deer instantly. To achieve the best results a deer hunting rifle such or hunting gun is recommended to a bow. Don't ever try to shoot the deer with an air rifle even its .22 air rifle or more powerful Want to Scare Deer off - Airgun Nation. Become an AGN forum member to be included in our multi-thousand dollar Monthly Airgun Giveaways! Winning is as easy as picking a number, no strings attached! This is our way of thanking you for being a part of the worlds biggest airgun forum. Yours truly, Michael Wendt - Owner. Join HERE

Hunting season features plenty of deer in all the wrong places. BDN outdoors editor John Holyoke sits in the woods on the last day of Maine's firearms deer season. Credit: John Holyoke / BDN. My. Deer shot with a firearm die from shock and tissue damage, but there is often less blood to follow. Identify a visual landmark to give you an idea of where the deer was standing the last time you saw it. It might be a rock, a tree, or an opening in the forest. Dark, crimson-colored blood suggests a liver or kidney shot. A shot like this is. Nathan Blaha, 20, of Hillsboro, Wis., and his accomplices allegedly wandered the backroads of Richland County in a pickup truck, stunning deer with a light before shooting them and leaving their. Since it became illegal sometime between 1987-88, Wildlife Conservation Officers can stop someone who's spotlighting and possibly prevent someone from illegally shooting a deer in the dark There are four common ways to mark your trail. Remember, you will have to follow this trail in the dark, so it needs to be clear. Each of these are decreasingly effective and increasingly easy. Permanent Markers If you own the land, or get permission from the land owner, you can paint markers on trees, posts, or whatever

Many hunters lose deer simply because they are looking for the blood trail in the wrong spot. Kyle Stefanich stalks up on his very first deer during Illinois youth firearm season October of 2012. He made a perfect double lung shot which made for a pretty easy tracking job kill a desert bighorn sheep, pronghorn, white-tailed deer, or mule deer without landowner consent (Parks and Wildlife Code state jail felony). Upon conviction, hunting and fishing license is automatically revoked. discharge a firearm on or across a public road. possess a deer or any part of a deer that has been hit by a motor vehicl

Old B'desh Clip Used to Show BJP MLA 'Anil Upadhyay' Hunting Deer. It is an old video from Bangladesh and the person seen in the video had been identified as one Moin Uddin Hot-Weather Deer Hunting Tactics In general, the early season is no time to push far into the woods to set up on a buck, as they tend to bed fairly close to primary food sources now The Hunting Rifle is one of the Items available in The Long Dark. 1 General Overview 2 Locations 3 Possible locations where the rifle might be found. 3.1 Mystery Lake 3.2 Coastal Highway 3.3 Pleasant Valley 3.4 Desolation Point 3.5 Mountain Town/Milton 4 Notes 5 Trivia 6 See also The Hunting Rifle is one of three firearms (the others being the Distress Pistol and Revolver) present in game. It. A resident youth hunt/trap, or comprehensive lifetime hunting license is required to hunt for deer unless you meet one of the license exemptions. All deer harvested in Indiana must be reported within 48 hours of the time of harvest at an on-site check station, online, through your Indiana Fish & Wildlife Account or by phone at 1-800-419-1326

Deer Hunting Guide! How To Survive The Long Dark - YouTub

1. A flashlight should be part of your Ten Essentials emergency gear and your deer hunting equipment. Here are several that do the job for me. by Leon Pantenburg. Every deer hunter has been in the woods in the dark, either after dawn or dusk. Successful hunters have probably field dressed a deer solely by the light of a flashlight
  2. Night Hunting: Allowed, however, use of artificial lights is prohibited (except raccoon & opossums). Coyotes, foxes, raccoon, and opossums can be hunted during nighttime (shotgun only) but close at midnight, however, during the shotgun season for deer hunting, hunting hours are 1½ hour before sunrise to1½ hour after sunset
  3. TRAIL POINTERS: A deer shot through the liver won't go far. Wait two hours, follow the dark spoor and you'll find your game. Don't trail a deer hit in the paunch for at least 8 to 10 hours. It's better to wait 12 hours to let an animal bed a few times, stiffen and finally expire. ZONE 3: TOO MUCH SHOULDE
  4. Very coarse, very long dark hair, with black tips. Stomach or Side Hair: Very coarse, hollow, brownish gray and medium length. Tips are not dark as they are higher up on the deer. Navel Hair: All white, hollow, very coarse and very long. Will appear curly and twisted. Spine Hair: Very coarse, hollow, long dark gray hair with black tips. Top of.
  5. 6. Foxes and Feral Cats. Foxes and feral cats are easy to hunt down during the day using a whistle that makes the sound of a rabbit in distress. However, you could also hunt them at night by using the spotlight method. Again, you could also use dog or noise to flush your targets out and towards your gun's range
  6. Wait until the deer is within range and you have an open shot. If you're bowhunting, you'll want to wait until the deer is within 30-60 yards (27-55 m) to land an accurate shot. If you're hunting with a rifle, wait until the deer is 100 yards (91 m) or less to increase your chances

For deer to use the food plots, they must feel secure. Small plots in thick cover can do the trick. If you keep the does on your land year round, the bucks will be there during November Deer hunting is a way of life that demands ongoing education. Challenging ourselves to always learn something new is what keeps us moving forward. And that's why we've picked the brains of some of the brightest whitetail minds for this gallery. Click here for more deer hunting articles and videos. Check us out on Facebook Deer Talk Now. Season 10. Episode 19. Do This When Bowhunting from a Blind. Do This When Bowhunting from a Blind. Even with lighted sights, bowhunting from a blind in low-light conditions can be challenging. Here's what Daniel E. Schmidt does to improve his visibility while keeping deer in the dark. Deer Talk Now. Season 10 How to Sit and Wait: Bob Robb's Guide to Hunting Whitetail Deer from a Tree Stand or Ground Blind. Get to Your Stand Undetected This is critical, and it starts with site selection A spine-shot deer will usually drop in his tracks or hobble off. Either way, a second shot will probably be required to finish off the whitetail deer. If a spine-shot whitetail deer hobbles off, wait a half-hour and track slowly and quietly. Look for the deer bedded down. A neck-shot deer will either die in 100 yards or he will recover from the.

Deer-specific Hunting Regulations. Option 1. Immediately upon harvest and before moving deer check via internet, mobile app or phone 877-731-5627. Option 2. Step 1. Immediately upon taking a deer (before moving it), fill out the appropriate deer tag from your license and complete all information, except Check #, legibly and in ink I've personally seen over 40 deer get shot in the neck and not one of them didn't fall immediately to the ground. So I don't know what this talk is about spine shots or jugular shots as the only way, when a bullet from a high-powered rifle enters the neck of a deer (anywhere) the deer falls immediately, there is no discussion here.. How to Access Your Deer Stand Undetected. Location, location, location might be your motto when it comes to placing deer stands, and location is certainly important to your deer hunting success. In fact, I think many deer hunters focus so much on stand location that they fail to think about how they will enter and exit a stand undetected

Hunting. The author (left) with his buck and his buddy Cody Arnold, at the end of a successful week in Eastern Colorado John B. Snow. I've never shot a giant whitetail buck—I mean a real stomper. That puts me in the company of most deer hunters. And like those fellow whitetail hunters it hasn't been for lack of trying Deer learn to avoid areas during hunting season and take refuge in areas where hunting is restricted; Deer can stay bedded during the day and feed after dark, thus avoiding hunting periods - hunting is prohibited after daylight hours. Live capture and relocation - this always seems like a comfortable option, you can get rid of problem deer. The best option when deer are around you after shooting light or when you need to get out of your stand is to wait them out. Staying in your stand until they have moved on will keep them from realizing you are there and potentially blowing your hunting spot in the future A hunting headlamp is a pivotal item for the before-sunrise or after-dark sportsman. Our top list of hunting headlamps has tracked down the best quality and value options on the market

The hog deer (Axis porcinus) is a close relative of the chital; they range from a uniform dark brown during winter to a rich reddish-brown in summer, at which time light-coloured spots along the sides and on either side of the dark dorsal stripe are visible in individuals. Typically, they have three tined antlers, but extra points are not. In dark timber like they were hunting it is important to try and pinpoint where the target bull is in order to be cautious and not bust the entire herd. Calls from Fox Pro Such as the Rookie and Closer give you the chance to make a variety of elk sounds from any number of bugles and chuckles to long range cow sounds or soft calls mimicking a. On the first evening hunt, a bachelor group containing two shooter bucks entered in the sorghum plot within 100 yards of the Redneck Bale Blind I was hunting from. While glassing the bucks, I recorded where they'd entered the field, as well as the general area where they fed. Finally, I marked where the deer exited the field at dark Since these hunting areas are spread throughout the state, they offer diversity in terrain and habitat. In much of the state, you'll be hunting wooded hills. Some of these public lands allow no firearms for deer hunting, while others have two-day quota or youth gun hunts. One area that has two youth hunts is the 7,998 acres around Grayson Lake For many years, experienced deer trackers have advocated for use for lanterns for after-dark recoveries. Lantern light seems to illuminate blood much better than a standard flashlight. Rather than focusing a small, bright beam in a small spot, the lantern illuminates a larger area, making blood easier to spot

In bear and deer hunting, 20 things where the law says no. With the primary bear and deer hunting seasons about to begin - bear on Saturday, November 17, and deer on Monday, November 26 - hunters. Valid Sep. 1, 2020 through Aug. 31, 2021. Hunting License. A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in Texas (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license.) See Hunting Licenses and Permits. No license is required for nuisance fur-bearing animals, depredating hogs or coyotes By Ray Sasser. 10:46 PM on Oct 28, 2017 CDT. Most of Texas' estimated 700,000 white-tailed deer hunters will be afield when the traditional firearms season begins Saturday. They can expect an. Only four species in the deer family—white-tailed deer, mule deer, elk, moose, and reindeer/caribou—are currently known to be susceptible to CWD in North America. While the disease has not been found in North Carolina, the Wildlife Resources Commission has submitted 11,407 samples for testing since 1999 When hunting any species during a firearms deer season and on youth/apprentice deer hunting weekend: Every hunter (see exceptions below), or persons accompanying a hunter, shall wear a solid blaze colored (blaze orange or blaze pink) hat or solid blaze colored upper body clothing that is visible from 360 degrees or display at least 100 square.

Top 5 Best Places to Shoot a Deer and Kill It Instantl

Above: The skeleton of a deer or an elk lies among the wildflowers. One look at the Valles Caldera and it's obvious why elk have thrived in this corner of the Jemez. The grass is thick, the streams are crystal clear, the forests are chock-full of nutritious plants and dark timber, and human activity is carefully controlled Perry Mattfeld Says 'In The Dark' Season 3, which made us ask about lawful hunting. That's when we discovered deer are being killed on this property, by licensed professionals with. Let me tell you my theory. I'm thinking that deer are less scared if they can see you coming from a distance as opposed to sneaking up on them in the dark and scareing the snot out of both you and the deer. Second, I think that once you get to your treestand and turn your light out then the deer will think the danger has disappeared After dark, deer seek open, safe and social food sources that they can lazily consume during their two primary feedings under the cover of darkness (feedings #4 and #5) and then the deer herd is back in their bedding areas to feed on woody browse, acorns, briars, etc. for feedings 1 and 2, during their entire 24 hour rhythmic pattern feeding cycle

Black-tailed Deer Facts, Size, Behavior, Adaptations, PicturesBest Deer Rifles – 2020 Buyer’s Guide Review

Deer hunting :: The Long Dark General Discussion

If you can't shoot your rifle well, it won't matter what cartridge it's chambered for. A cartridge that will kill a deer in the open fields or in the thick brush will work just as well in the deep woods. In those deep, dark woods, you just won't need to reach out as far to hit that big buck's shoulder I aim to hit the second vertebra below the joint between the skull and the spine. A hit in this area ruins very little, if any, meat. I have collected deer (and shot deer for my own table) with this hold using cartridges ranging from .222 Rem Mag to .30-06. The vast majority were taken with either the .222 mag, a .223 or a .22-250 Blood that seems crimson and dark is likely the aftereffect of your broadhead hitting the liver or the kidneys. While the shot is most likely the deadly one. It is best to pull out for no less than three hours to give the deer some time to set down and bite the dust without having to push it, a very common mistake

Deer The Long Dark Wiki Fando

Ultra Rare Melanistic Black Whitetail Deer Seen in North Carolina WITH an Albino. On September 1, 2017, the remnants of Hurricane Harvey were passing through central North Carolina after devastating Texas and blew the transformer out on my property a few acres away from my house. So, we went out for a drive 2021 Michigan. Hunting Digest. Rules apply from August 1, 2021 - July 31, 2022. RAP (Report All Poaching): Call or Text (800) 292-7800. Important • Antlerless deer hunting acces However, hunters should use synthetic products, as natural deer urine products could contain CWD prions. While bear hunting, you may use up to 1.5 fluid ounces of a liquid scent/lure. Decoys. Decoys are legal to use for deer hunting in NY. You should exercise caution when transporting a deer decoy to and from the locations in the field 1,440. Location: Lynden, WA. A dead deer found the next day should be fine if it's not over 45 degrees or so or hasn't been in direct sunlight. Especially if you shoot it in the afternoon and find it the next morning. No matter how warm it is, check the wound entry/exit for fly eggs and ticks

What Determines a Buck's Antler Color?Bambi **** (1942, Walt Disney) – Classic Movie Review 1415

How Can Deer See in the Dark? - AllOutdoor

580 Taylor Ave., Annapolis MD 21401. Call toll-free in *Maryland* at 1-877-620-8DNR (8367) Out of State: 410-260-8DNR (8367 The South Florida Deer Research Project, one of the largest white-tailed deer studies conducted in the country, is now complete. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission worked with University of Georgia, Virginia Tech, Jones Center at Ichauway, and several other partners to learn more about how water levels, predation and hunting impact deer populations in south Florida The deer, of course, tend not to move until it begins to grow dark, so the actual time available to hunt is compressed into a narrow window between when the deer appear and when the sun goes down Around 1:30 a.m. Saturday, police said they went to the Tides at Deer Valley Apartments on 19th Avenue for a report of a shooting. Officers found multiple people trying to give the victim CPR as.

Fawn gives cop a kiss after California wildfire rescue

How many shots does it take to kill a deer? :: The Long

§ 29.1-523.1. Hunting deer with sights after dark; forfeiture of weapon and sighting device. A. Any person who kills or attempts to kill any deer between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise using a firearm equipped with any sighting device other than iron or open sights shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor Deer need food, cover, and water. I try to learn where and when deer where I'm hunting use these resources. Weather and fear are huge factors in determining the time of day deer are active. We can't control the weather but we can work to not alert deer by using smart hunting techniques. Enjoy creation, grant. December 3, 201 First deer shot at 40 yards with a 90 grain Nosler ballistic tip 6mm Rem that didn't exit, no blood trail at all. Didn't like that so I stepped it up to a 308 shooting a 165 grain Nosler ballistic tip. I was expecting a huge exit hole, but it was only nickel sized and no blood trail again. But both deer dropped within 40 yards so why complain An Iowa felon who authorities believe was intoxicated allegedly fired a .30-30 rifle at a deer but accidentally hit a 73-year-old woman in her home Friday night, The Des Moines Register reported

Rush Creek Creations Deer 4 Gun Wall Rack with StorageHaving The Best Survival Flashlight Is What You Need

Where To Shoot A Deer: 6 Spots for Quick & Humane Hunts

Dark Night Deer Hunting do you wants to be a Hunter,then Download this game and Hunt the Deers in Dark nights,Deers are very fast so be careful while hunting them.Not only in nights choose the day locations and hunt a deer in the day.Choose your favourite gun,aim and then shoot.Unlock the more efficient guns by playing the game.Tilt Your cell phone to take the aim at deer and click on fire. Understanding Daily Deer Movement by TR Michels article copyright. One of the most important things to know about deer hunting is when to hunt. When you're hunting you need to know where the deer are likely to be during legal shooting hours. In order to know you'll need good knowledge of when and where deer normally move during the day A little deer anatomy and shot placement lesson can go a long way. There are obviously several places you can shoot a deer to kill it, but if you're interested in a quick, humane kill with a minimal or nonexistent tracking job, and a loss of minimal amount of meat, then read on for a super easy method for ideal shot placement. Deer Vital

Colorado's Edible Plants: Forage for These 4 Wild Plants

DNR - Top 10 hunting violations during firearm deer seaso

Deer Hunting In Winter Time. Group Of Noble Deer Cervus Elaphus , Led By Stag, Against The Backdrop Of Hunting Tower And Winte. R Birch Forest. A Herd Of. Silhouette of a hunter in a cowboy hat with a gun in his hands on a background of a beautiful sunset. The hunting period, the fall. Hunting rifle and ammunition on a dark wooden. I started using the UV killer detergent and sprayer. It makes the clothes look duller even to my human eye. I've had deer walk to within 15-20 yards of where I was sitting on the ground in tan pants and a gray shirt and graze for over 1/2 an hour w/o knowing I was there (I was hunting cow elk at the time) Back off, and come back later. A Gut hit deer will bed often and this sign will be evident along the blood trail. A deer will likely bed close to where it was shot - so carefully sneak out of your stand - or stay put for 6 hours. If it is raining, or if such weather is coming, you still need to get out of there quietly

How to Get To and From Deer Hunting Stands, Undetected. Deer hunting would seem to be a simple affair - find out where they're bedding, where they're eating and pick an ambush spot between Point A and B. But given the eyesight and olfactory abilities of mature bucks, it isn't always quite that easy in the woods Blood Tracking Time and Distance to Expire. While there is no magic number of hours or minutes for a deer to expire, there is certainly a general conservative guideline. 1. Heart Shot (good, bright-red blood): 5 to 10 seconds, up to 300 yards depending upon cover (often 100 yards or less in thick, high stem count habitat and up to a few hundred. Males (stags) also have a dark shaggy mane running down their neck. Sika deer have a white rump patch that flares outward when alarmed. On Nov. 23, a 16-year-old female shot her first deer. First, deer skin is not necessarily white or light colored. Just like the family dog, a deer's skin can be dark in color and this can show through its summer coat appearing blotchy in spots where the hair is thin. This is especially noticeable on the back of the ears. Second, summer time is bug time The shooting angle to a deer's vital area is much better from a lower height. Our goal as bowhunters is a double-lung hit. There are exceptions, but we should set up to achieve that. The higher you go, the harder this becomes, especially on deer within 10 yards of your stand — possibly even 15 yards if you go high enough